Monday 14 May 2012

What makes a good role model?

Do stars like Cheryl make good role models?

Do stars like Cheryl make good role models?

Do you think girls don't have enough strong role models? A new study dosen't think so.

A survey has taken place for girls between the ages of 7 and 21. The UK results reveal they don't have enough women to look up to. Lots of teenage girls are looking up to singers and actresses insted of  businesswomen or sports stars. It's thought that only having certain sorts of role models puts girls off doing certain jobs in the future.

Too much focus on looks...
Looks are not important compered to what they've achieved in life. 9 out of 10 girls think TV and magazines focus too much on what women look like. (I'm glad lots of people think this aswell as I do).

Over half of the people who were interviewed thought there aren't enough female role models. For those people who think looks mean everything, think again, it may affect you in future.

Some other people who were interviewed could name 3 or 4 singers and actors but they couldn't name one professional sportswoman.

Let's hope this will not lower what girls think they can achieve, and could make them aim for less.

A few people's comments...

"Emma Watson is my role model. I think she is a great person to look up to because even though she has enough money to give up work for life, she still pursued her education at university."

Amie, Plymouth, England

"My role model is a drummer called Sandra Alva as there are very few female drummers and she's amazing."

Jade, Scotland

"I agree, magazines and things focus too much on looks. But as a girl, who says you have to have a female role model? My role model is Ed Sheeran."


Georgina, Pembrokeshire, Wales

"I think that there are so many celebrities who are famous mainly for their looks! It can make me feel really bad about myself and when I want to look up to the achievements of stars I only see their looks!"

Kate, London, England

"I recently broke my leg and I find it hard to use my crutches, I have been inspired by Paralympic athletes."

Madeleine, Somerset, England

"My role model is Jacqueline Wilson. I love her books and I went to see her talk at a book day thing, she's amazing. She also understands girls, even my dad now thinks she's incredible."

Sana, London, England

"My role model is Selena Gomez because although she is famous she does a lot of work for Unicef and has inspired me a lot."

Shanyce, Inverclyde, Scotland

"Celebs aren't always good role models, some of them haven't done anything..."

Tom, Stockport, England

Do you have a role model?

No comments:

Post a Comment