Tuesday 10 July 2012

The Garden Express!

80 year old Bill Barritt has built a miniature railway in his back garden.

A retired accountant who loves trains built a £22,000 railway line in his back garden. He has spent 3 years building his private rail way around his 13 acres of land, which is 1.2 miles of track. The eight passenger train was shipped over from America and is 25ft (7.5m) long. He uses it to ferry his grandchildren around his massive back garden. But it was his wife, Patricia Barritt (81), that persuaded him to fulfil his dream of making the track.

Bill, said:"I did it because she told me too really. Now I can get around the garden at any time, and my train always runs on time but it took a long time to complete, sometimes I would take a break of a week or two and I got a lot of help from my gardener with the physical work."

Ever since he was a child Bill has had a passion for railways, regularly travelling on trains around the country as he was growing up.  He added: "I've always had a fascination with trains. As a youngster I would often go watching the steam trains on the main line up in Lancashire, I really loved to travel on the big old engines - the trains aren't the same these days".

"But now I only have to look out of my back window to see one - it's wonderful."
Bill added: "Everybody around the village knows about it and every now and then there's a knock at my door from people wanting a little trip."

No comments:

Post a Comment