Wednesday 17 July 2013

A Unique Year For DCS - My Review


This year (2013) was a very unique year for Dinnington Comprehensive School as it was a year where everybody moved up a year early. Instead of moving up in September like we have done every other year, our school was one of the few schools who decided to start the New Year 3 weeks earlier than usual, starting a fresh year in July instead of September 2013.

On Friday the 19th of July 2013, Dinnington Comprehensive will break up for the 6 week summer holidays at 12:30pm. Sadly for the school as well as students leaving, there are also a few teachers leaving as well. Media teacher: Mr Welch and English teacher: Mrs Frost will also be leaving the school as well. I am sure that all students at DCS will be relieved and thankful for the 6 week break, as so am I! Year 9 was a very chaotic year as work such as options and preparation for our GCSE’s has to be done at the last minute as a result from the early transaction, so the 6 week break couldn’t come any sooner for me! In my opinion, I think that a 6 week break isn’t quite long enough for us students and teachers as well. Me and many teachers who I have spoken to say that we should have a longer break off school. I think that we should have a longer break at summer because us students need more time to prepare for the new year, especially for the year 9’s going into year 10 as we need more time to get ready for GCSE’s. Also teachers need more time off as they need more time to prepare for their lessons, they need extra time to prepare lessons and to buy equipment and other essentials they might need.

The 6 week holiday for me is a time where I can spend quality time with my family and friends. The 6 weeks away from school gives me chance to go out and do things like swimming, ice skating, shopping, going to the cinema and going to outdoor public parks to relax and enjoy time together. All of these activities are things that I don’t have time to do during the school period as we only have the weekend to plan and organise days out, whereas when we have a long break off school, it is much easier to plan and organise these kind of things which I wouldn’t have got chance to organise beforehand. The kind of activities I hope to do during the summer period are such things like ice skating, swimming and shopping with my friends, and going on day out trips with my family. These kind of days out with my friends are essential because of the fact that now I am going into year 10. In year 10 we are all split up, meaning that I won’t get the chance to see my friends as often as I would have done in year 9. These types of activities give me and my friends the interaction we need to stay close friends as when we return in September, we will lose contact with each other. In addition, this is another reason why I think we should have longer breaks. We need more time to spend time with the people who we need most, our family and friends.

However as the end of the break approaches, I will most certainly find myself buying things for school such as clothing and equipment that I will be needing for year 10. I feel quite excited for the new start as I will be carrying on with my GCSE’s from what we started in July 2013. However on the other hand, I am fairly nervous for the new start as well, as I know that things are going to get a lot harder and expectations will be higher than ever. Whichever way, I am looking forward to the challenges that await and for what lies ahead…

No comments:

Post a Comment